“Your body cannot heal without play. Your mind cannot heal without laughter. Your soul cannot heal without joy.”
~ Catherine Fenwick
I could not resist sharing this quote from Deepak Chopra’s daily message today. And I can’t help but wonder, when is the last time we really, and I mean really, laughed?
Luckily I can recall just a few weeks ago sitting with two of my dearest girlfriends over brunch. One regaled us with a hilarious story about an attempt at seductive romance with her husband gone wrong. I was doubled over, tears streaming from my eyes, unable to speak, in heavenly laughter. It was just what the doctor ordered.
Laugher can literally heal. So today, have yourself a good chuckle. And if you can, why not combine that chuckle with a brunch with girlfriends–you’ll be a happier, healthier woman for it!
The Top 10 Reasons Why Laughter is Good for You, and the Side Effects of Laughter Therapy
- Rapid breathing increases oxygen levels in your body.
- Laughter relieves stress rapidly by reducing stress chemicals from the system.
- Laughter is FREE!
- Laughing changes your body chemistry.
- The brain releases endorphins, serotonin and dopamine into the body affecting our sense of well-being and increasing pain tolerance.
- Research shows laughing reduces stress related conditions, like high blood pressure, depression, anxiety, social phobia, heart disease and headaches. There is also research to show the beneficial effects laughter has on things like cancer, and other very serious diseases.
- You are likely to sleep better and feel healthier.
- Laughing gives a boost to the immune system, lifts our spirits and leads to a greater sense of well-being.
- Regular laughing is good exercise as it encourages deep breathing which is known to improve lymphatic drainage, the removal of toxins from the body, and to relax muscles.
- Anyone can do it, regardless of age or physical ability.